The Best Things I Ate at Lollapalooza 2012
I went to Lollapalooza to eat. Sure, I caught a few sets along the way, but as I mentioned last Thursday, some of the food options at the massive Chicago festival are distinguished by the simple fact that they are surprisingly, consistently good. And not just good for a festival—many of the dishes are just plain delicious. Instead of ceding all space to catering companies (though there are some of those, too), a number of local restaurants also have tents, including such favorites of mine as Edzo's and Franks 'N' Dawgs. I joined with fellow Serious Eater, Carol, to see how much damage we could do.
I should point out that Lollapalooza is big, almost mind boggling so. On Friday alone, some 100,000 people walked through the gates into Grant Park. This means that the food vendors have to be ready to feed well over a quarter million people during the three day festival. As you can imagine, there was no way I could eat everything, let a long try something from every vendor. But I still managed to eat my way through a good portion of the offerings and came away with some favorites.
Check out my list of the best bites at Lollapalooza by clicking through the slideshow, or by clicking on the picks individually.
- JapaDog at Chizakaya
- Wisconsin Bacon-Cheddar Burger at Edzo's Burger Shop
- Butter Chicken Samosa at Suzy Samosas @ Ashyana Catering
- Lobster Dog at Grahamwich
- Cob Smacked at The Australian Truffle
- Pork of July at Franks 'N' Dawgs
- Buttermilk Old Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar at Do-Rite Donuts
- Steak Sandwich at Mercat a la Planxa
- Drunken Coconut at Peeled