Slideshow13 Warming Soups We Love in Chicago
Finally, it's fall. Sure, sunshine and shorts are great and all, but there were a few moments back in August when I almost forgot that it ever got below 90 degrees. I don't swelter well. Of course, I'm not quite looking forward to the February doldrums (sorry to bring that up), but this I can handle. Plus, I finally have an excuse to dig into all those wonderfully filling dishes that don't sound as good during a heat wave. As soon as I felt the first snap of a cold wind I immediately started to crave a huge bowl of soup. You know, the kind that warms you up and fortifies you for the rest of the day.
I used to think of soup as an often unappreciated dish, but that's simply not the case with these 13 picks. Each is dynamic and flavorful enough that you don't feel the least bit bad ordering a bowl. Check out the full list by clicking through the slideshow, or visit them individually below. Did I miss your favorite? Let me know. Considering the kind of weather coming up, I'll have plenty of time to visit them.
- Hot and Sour Soup at Belly Shack
- Pozole Rojo at Pozoleria San Juan
- Pork Belly Vermicelli Caldo at Xoco
- Roast Duck Shrimp Dumpling Noodle Soup at Sun Wah
- Sancocho at Gloria's Cafe
- Daal Makhani at Udupi Palace
- Beef Phở at Bon Bon Vietnamese Sandwiches
- Beef Curry Noodles (Kuai-Tiao Kaeng ก๋วยเตี๋ยวแกง) at Rosded
- Cup Of Plain Chili Without Beans At Lindy's Chili
- Phở đặc biệt at Phở 777
- Spicy Seafood Tofu Soup At So Gong Dong Tofu House
- Special Toroniku Shio Ramen from Santouka At Mitsuwa Marketplace
- Tori Ramen at Slurping Turtle