Serious Eats: Chicago
32 Cheap Eats We Love in Lakeview
Unlike its immediate neighbor to the south, finding genuinely good cheap eats in Lakeview turned out to be easy—almost too easy. By the time the list stretched over thirty, we knew we realized we had to stop. Then we added two more. It's impressive.
We don't want to get all hyperbolic, but we're unsure if any other neighborhood equals Lakeview in the quantity and diversity of its cheap eats. Sure, the Chicago classics are covered, including some of the best examples of burgers, hot dogs, and pizza in the city. But what we love the is the mix of new and old. Without much effort, you can score old school doughnuts and cinnamon rolls so big they'll make you gape in awe, pass by exciting new Thai and Vietnamese restaurants, and then pick up incredible English bangers. And if that doesn't tide you over, you can head out for some street food from Belgium or Argentina.
Like our previous lists, we set a strict $10 limit on all the dishes, which excluded a number of promising options that were right on the line. But this time we also decided to include some desserts. There are options.
Check out the 32 cheap eats we love in Lakeview by clicking on the slideshow. Below we also have the listed individually.
Did we miss your favorite affordable spot in the neighborhood? Let us know! We can't wait to get back and try more.
- Saigon Classic Bánh Mì at Bánh Mì & Co.
- Jumbo Dog at Byron's Hot Dog Haus ($3.89)
- Calamari "Federal Hill" Style from Fish Bar ($6.00)
- Bangers at Spencer's Jolly Posh Foods
- Saigon Classic Special at Bun Mi Express ($4.85)
- Red Hot at Murphy's Red Hots
- Seoul Sassy at Crisp ($8.95, half)
- Buffalo Wings at Toon's Bar ($6.50)
- Tod Mun Pla at Tac Quick ($6.50)
- Italian beef at Hot Diggity Dogs ($5.25)
- Pate and Pork Bánh Mì at Nhu Lan's Saigon Subs ($3.95)
- Philly Cheesesteak Pizza at Dimo's Pizza ($3.75 for a slice)
- Ziggy's Ham Sandwich at Dinkel's Cafe ($7.50)
- Gino's Special at Panino's ($7.95)
- Turkey and Cheese from Lucky's Sandwich Co. ($7.50)
- The BFF at The Flower Flat ($9)
- Adana Sandwich at Cafe Orchid ($6.95)
- Burger at DMK ($9)
- Sweet Potato Tempura Roll at New Tokyo ($4.50)
- Belgian Frites at Backwoods ($5)
- Stuffed Crust Slice at Art of Pizza ($3.42)
- Fafafel Bowl at Falafill ($7.95)
- Beer Battered Bacon Strips from Paddy Long's
- Empanadas at 5411 Empanadas ($2.25)
- The Blue Pig & Fig at Pastoral ($9.57)
- Kao Soy at Andy's Thai Kitchen ($8.50)
- The Muenster Mash at Chicago Bagel Authority ($6.75)
- Two Homemade Cinnamon Rolls at Ann Sather ($3.00)
- Booty Call at Baladoché ($5.47)
- Signature Sunset Ice Cream at Bobtail Ice Cream Company ($3.19)
- Sour Cream aka "Old Fashioned" from Dinkel's Bakery
- Grace's Caramel Bar at Sensational Bites