Staff Picks: What's the Best Hot Dog in Chicago?
When it comes to hot dogs, Chicagoans have opinions. We care where they are made, who serves them, and what tops them. We will drive all over the city to satisfy a craving, passing lesser stands that just aren't quite good enough. This might seem like a lot of effort to waste on such a basic dish, but once you have a truly great hot dog, nothing else will do.
Of course, picking that exemplary hot dog is a personal choice, which depends on what kind of experience you prefer. As we have explored before, there is so much more variety here than people realize. While a fully-loaded Chicago dog is what most people picture, just as many of our writers prefer the stripped down simplicity of the depression dog.
Check out our staff's favorite hot dogs by clicking on the slideshow. If we didn't cover your favorite spot, let us know in the comments!
- Hot Dog with Fries at Gene & Jude's
- Hot Dog and Fries at Redhot Ranch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog, Homemade Everything at Allium
- Superdawg at Superdawg Drive-In
- Char Dog at Phil's Last Stand
- Milt Dog at Milt's Barbecue for the Perplexed
- Chicago Style Hot Dog at The Vienna Beef Factory Cafe
- Jimmy's Hot Dog at Jimmy's Red Hots
- Hot Dog at Kim & Carlo's Hot Dog Stand
- Cheese Dog at Little Joe's
View Staff Picks: Favorite Hot Dogs in Chicago in a larger map