10 Pretzels We Love in Chicago
Does anyone know when the great pretzel invasion of Chicago began? A few years ago, the only pretzels I remember seeing were the kind you'd find at mediocre bars, and I avoided those because they were always soft, spongy, and flavorless (though the salt helped). But along with the wave of beer-centric restaurants and sausage-heavy menus, the pretzel snuck in, and it's anything but boring this time around.
What's especially interesting is that there are now numerous styles of pretzels to dig into. Some are warm and pillowy, while others are thin and crispy. I even tracked down a great version of soft pretzel bites. And they are being served with a variety of different mustards and cheese sauces.
Check out some of our favorite pretzels in Chicago by clicking on the slideshow.
- Pretzel with Welsh Rarebit at Longman & Eagle
- Mustard Glazed Soft Pretzel with Welsh Rarebit at Owen & Engine
- Soft Pretzels at Allium
- Soft Swabian Pretzel at Table, Donkey and Stick
- Weiswurst and Pretzel at The Publican
- Pretzel Twist at Dinkel's Bakery
- Pretzel at Floriole Cafe & Bakery
- House-Crafted Soft Pretzel at Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate "Souffled" Tart at Hot Chocolate
- Obatzda Pretzel at Laschet's Inn
View Pretzels We Love in Chicago in a larger map