If you didn't already know, August is National Sandwich Month. It's a purely arbitrary celebration, but it nonetheless serves as a good time to step back and take a look at some of Chicago's best options between two slices of bread. Last week we picked out some of our favorite BLT variations around town, but today we wanted to look at one of the most difficult sandwich genres to do right: the seafood sandwich.
It takes real skill to create a seafood sandwich that isn't mushy or, if fried, greasy. But it's worth experiencing the odd dud because we know that occasionally the stars will align for the perfect specimen.
It's been a year since we last explored the world of seafood sandwiches. But over the past 12 months we've uncovered a fresh batch of new options, which we present here.
Take a look at some of the best seafood sandwiches in Chicago by clicking on the slideshow.
- Crispy Soft Shell Crab at Japonais
- Shrimp Po' Boy from The Point
- Tuna on Baguette at La Pane
- Hook at Reno
- Scottish Salmon Reuben at The Local
- Cajun Shrimp Wrap at Snappy's Shrimp
- Fried Whitefish at Found
- Tuna Melt at Le Cafe du Marche
- Soft Shell Crab Sandwich at The Publican
- Supershrimp at Superdawg