2013 was a big eating year for me at Serious Eats Chicago. I broadened my fried-food-only focus a little over midway through the year and hit the two year mark as a contributor in November. But whether I was slogging through french fries, fried chicken, top notch doughnuts, or beyond, I was continually struck by just how good it is to eat in Chicago.
So good in fact, that I had a hard time narrowing my selections for best bites of 2013. My solution: self imposed strictures, in the form of dishes worth coming back for. It's a sad reality (please don't actually feel bad for me) that with all this good eating, it's relatively hard to make it back to a place, no matter how good the food. So whether I have returned or plan to soon, these are the dishes I'm still thinking about as 2013 draws to a close.
Click through the slide show to see my picks, and here's to another great year of eating in 2014!
- The Hook at Reno
- Fried Alaskan Cod at McGill's Bar & Grill
- Chimichanga Suiza at Mayan Palace
- Chili Cheese Dog at Bangers & Lace
- Glazed Cake Doughnut at Old Fashioned Donuts
- Pancakes at Moon's Sandwich Shop
- "Filipino" Street BBQ Style Glazed St. Louis Ribs at Smalls Smoke Shack & More
- Clam Chowder at Petterino's
- Sliders with Cheese at State Fair
- All You Can Eat Fried Pollock at Nelson's Saloon in Three Oaks, MI