Hang in there, Chicago. While we are still dealing with something that is honestly being referred to as a "Polar Plunge," doesn't that sound far less frightening than a Polar Vortex? Plus, even though the Chicago Tribune threw enough question marks in the title to make you wonder whether the paper is being honest, by Thursday the temperature might actually creep above freezing for the first time in two weeks. I know! So, what should you do in the meantime to stave off the cold? You should eat soup.
While we've already catalogued some of our favorite winter soups, we've had the chance to do a lot of research since then, so we decided that it was time to see what our staff likes to slurp during a real chill. The results are as varied as you'd expect, covering a number of different cuisines in as many neighborhoods.
Take a look at our picks, weigh in with your own, and let's get through this last ridiculously cold stretch—hopefully, I didn't just jinx us.
- Matzo Ball Gumbo at Inspiration Kitchens
- Pozole Verde at Pueblo Nuevo
- Butternut Squash Soup at State and Lake
- Hot & Sour Soup at Belly Shack
- Birria en Barro at Birriera Zaragoza
- Celery Root Soup at Lula Cafe
- Beef Ball and Tendon Soup at Aroy Thai