A few years ago if you asked me about fish tacos in Chicago, I would have gone silent, blanked, and probably gotten a little depressed that there weren't many options. Sure, our city does other taco fillings very well, but we still didn't seem to have the fried fish taco figured out. The versions that were available weren't that inspiring, mixing bland and oily fillets with overly-creamy sauces and tortillas that fell apart the moment you touched them. Luckily, all that has changed. Thanks to mostly new joints, there is now an impressive fried fish scene, one that I can't wait to show off.
Here are 11 of my favorite fried fish tacos in Chicago, which you can view all together on the slideshow or individually below. Of course, if I missed your favorite place along the way, don't be afraid to chime in and let me know.
- Estilo Baja Tacos at Mercadito
- Tacos Ensenada at Mixteco
- Sambal Fish at Del Seoul
- Taco de Pescado at Big Star
- The Big & Little's Taco at Big & Little's
- Crispy Fish Taco at Antique Taco
- The Estilo Baja at Taco Joint
- Fish Tacos at GT Fish & Oyster
- Pescado estilo Baja Califas at El Barco
- Tacos Ensenada at Fonda Del Mar
- Fish Taco at Carbón
View Fish Tacos We Love in Chicago in a larger map
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.