GalleryBest Chicago Tacos of 2012
How many great tacos are there in Chicago? Well, there are enough that I was able to try a new restaurant or taqueria every week for a year and never come close to exhausting the possibilities. Sure, some were simply mediocre, while others were merely adequate, but occasionally I'd stumble upon a true find. Whether these places served handmade tortillas or high quality fillings, they gave me the courage to continue my obsessive quest to find the best tacos in Chicago.
While this list could have been twice as long, these are the tacos I remember most from 2012—the ones that stood out in the crowded field. Obviously, I realize my job here is far from done, and if you have any tacos that I need to try next year, please leave a comment.
- Coffee Braised Lamb Barbacoa at Mexique
- Cecina Taco at La Oaxaqueña
- Tacos de Champigñon at Masa Azul
- Salmon Poke at Big & Little's
- Chicken Tinga at Huaraches Doña Chio
- Longaniza at La Chaparrita
- Carnitas Taco at Carnitas Uruapan
- Pork Carnitas at Antique Taco
- Tacos Ensenada at Mixteco Grill
- Carne Asada Tacos at Zacatacos
- Grilled Sweet Potato Taco at Bullhead Cantina
- Sambal Fish Taco at Del Seoul
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.