Over the course of a year, I eat more french fries and onion rings than is probably currently legal per person in New York City. But just when potatoes and onions start to weigh me down (literally and figuratively), I come across a deep fried dish that renews my Quixotic quest of slogging through this city's fryers.
I can't think of a cooking application more misunderstood and harangued, and at the same time indicative of a kitchen's technical prowess, as deep frying. But before I get too comfortable on my soapbox, submitted for your approval are my ten favorite deep fried dishes (including one onion dish for good measure) gleaned from a year of TGI Fry-Day and Deep Fried Chicago posts.
- Crisp BBQ Fried Chicken from Crisp
- Hackney's Original French Fried Onions from Hackney's Printers Row
- Vietnamese Cinnamon Donuts at BellyQ
- Greg's Deep Fried Cheese Curds from The Fifty/50
- Dry Chili Fish Filet from Lao Hunan
- Ceci e Fave from J.P. Graziano Grocery Co., Inc.
- Caesar Ensalada with Cotija Cheese Fritters from Birrieria Zaragoza
- Fried Shrimp from Redhot Ranch
- Fried Perch from Harold's Chicken Shack in Wicker Park
- Fried Pickles from Lillie's Q
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.