I'll repeat what I've said in the past: in terms of sweets, Chicago is a blessed city. In fact, most of the time I barely had to put any work into finding well-made pastries and desserts for the Sugar Rush and Behind the Sweets columns (just don't tell my editor). In no particular order—because it was hard enough to pick my favorites—here are my top ten for the year.
- Chocolate at Storefront Company
- Banana Pudding at Magnolia Bakery
- Mille Feuille at Au Cheval
- Strawberry Eclair at Beard Papa's
- Pain Perdu at Nellcote
- Chocolate at Ada Street
- Brioche Beignets with Rhubarb-Berry Compote at NoMi
- Mont Blanc at Blackbird
- Mixed Berry Scone at Blue Sky Bakery
- Walnut Chimney Cake at Chimney Cake Island
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.