So many stories about hot dogs have gone up this month—check out the exhausting coverage here—you may wonder whether we eat anything else in Chicago. Honestly, after researching (i.e. eating) more hot dogs in one month than any one man should ever attempt, I kind of wondered that, too. Obviously that's not the case. In fact, some of my favorite hot dog stands serve items that are just as good, and in some cases, even better than the dogs.
Since we've already covered Italian beefs, I excluded those from the list. That still left me with a mix of old school Chicago street food and oddball new items that are far more delicious than they have any right to be.
Check out all my picks by clicking on the slideshow. And if you have any dishes I need to try, definitely let me know in the comments.
- Polish sausage at Parse's Red Hots
- Mother-in-Law at Fat Johnnie's
- Double Fatso at Phil's Last Stand
- Frips at Chicago's Dog House
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich at Branko's
- Pork Chop Sandwich at Maxwell Street Depot
- Chicken Wings at Budacki's
- Original Single at Devil Dawgs
- Fried Shrimp at Redhot Ranch
- Everything at Hot Doug's
View 9 Great Dishes at Chicago's Hot Dog Stands (Besides Hot Dogs) in a larger map
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.