I'll get this out of the way in the very first sentence: I still have more Mexican restaurants in Chicago to try. So many more. In fact, there are so many more that I sometimes get overwhelmed with all the choices. But after five years in Chicago, I've tried more than my fair share of Mexican restaurants (probably in the hundreds right now). So with Cinco de Mayo coming up on Sunday, I decided to pick out the essential Mexican dishes in Chicago.
You probably know that I have a thing for tacos, but that's just the beginning. I crave chilaquiles, tortas, tamales, huaraches, birria, and, above all else, mole (preferably mole negro, but I love them all). Fortunately, you can find all of those dishes in the city.
Check out my 10 essential Mexican dishes in Chicago by clicking on the slideshow. Of course, I couldn't quite help myself, and included links to a bunch of other amazing options. But if you think I missed some crucially important pick, definitely let me know in the comments. After all, I have so much more to eat.
- Crispy Tripa Taco at La Chaparrita
- Birria at Birrieria Zaragoza
- Cemita at Cemitas Puebla
- Borrego en Mole Negro at Topolobampo
- Cecina de Venado Estilo Guerrero at La Casa de Samuel
- Al Pastor Taco at Manolo's or Rubi's
- Carnitas at Carnitas Uruapan
- Huaraches at Huaraches Dona Chio
- Hot Chocolate, Churros, and Tortas at Xoco
- Taco de Papas con Rajas at Big Star
More Great Mexican Dishes!
- Coffee Braised Lamb Barbacoa at Mexique
- Pork Tamale at Bombon Bakery
- Green and Red Tamales at Tamales Lo Mejor de Guerrero
- Churros at Masa Azul
- Tacos de Champigñon at Masa Azul
- Huitlacoche Quesadilla at Rubi's
- Barbacoa Huarache at Arroyos Tacos
- Braised Pork Chilaquiles at The Bristol
- Camarones Tacos at La Lagartija Taqueria
- Carne Asada Taco with Handmade Tortillas at L'Patron
- Maple Creek Farms Pork Belly Tacos at Takito
- Pambazo with Chorizo and Potatoes at The Green House
- Tacos de Sabinas at Nuevo Leon
- Pastel Tres Leches at Salpicon
- Pork Carnitas at Antique Taco