Sometimes the dip is the best part of a dish. Fries without ketchup or mayo? Tortilla chips without salsa? No thanks. These sauces, condiments, and dressings can be an essential part of the dish, and there's just something about dipping that makes your dining experience automatically seem more casual and fun.
I usually want to ask for two more servings of any good dip, but sometimes hesitate. After giving so much thought to the best dips around town and talking to restaurants about them, I say hey, why not! They should know they've got a great dip and that you're enthusiastic about it. Maybe they'll up the portion, or just keep it on the menu.
Regardless of whether you devour dips with gusto or just want a tiny bit to complement your fried fare, there's no shortage of options around town, ranging from fudge desserts to mayo packed with Indian flavors.
Check them all out by clicking on the slideshow, or by visiting them individually below.
View Dip into It: 9 Sauces, Condiments, and Dressings We Love in Chicago in a larger map
- Homemade Ketchup at 2 Sparrows
- Curry Mayonnaise at Belly Shack
- Malt Vinegar Gastrique at Farmhouse
- Vegan Ranch at Handlebar
- Cheese Sauce at Phil's Last Stand
- 3-Chile Salsa at Xoco
- Banana Ketchup at Pecking Order
- Hot Fudge at Mindy's Hot Chocolate
- Aioli at Au Cheval
More Dishes We Love in Chicago!
- 9 Crab Dishes We Love In Chicago
- 10 Pretzels We Love in Chicago
- 10 Corn Dogs We Love In Chicago
- 11 Caramels We Love in Chicago
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.