I'm the first to admit that we haven't covered the South Side as much as the North Side. While I have eaten my way through Chinatown, Bridgeport, and much of Pilsen, our coverage starts to thin out below 35th street. But this lack of posts doesn't mean there are a lack of options. Instead, this mostly just shows that I live northwest of downtown, am kind of lazy, and don't like sitting in traffic jams for an hour trying to get through downtown.
This is especially frustrating because some of the most quintessential Chicago eats are below 35th street: The best rib tips and hot links in the city; my absolute favorite old-school burger; birria better than any other I've ever sampled. Get the picture?
We're set to explore the South Side more exhaustively in the upcoming months, but if you're looking for great place to start, here are 12 essential dishes to try below 35th Street. Obviously, if you have any places that we absolutely need to try, let us know!
- Birria at Birrieria Zaragoza
- Rib Tips and Hot Links at Uncle John's Barbecue
- Sausage Pizza at Vito & Nick's
- Ribs from Lem's Bar-B-Q
- Italian Beef at Pop's Italian Beef
- ¼ Pound Burger at Top Notch Beefburger
- Mother-in-Law at Fat Johnnie's
- Carne Asada Taco at Tio Luis
- Smoked Shrimp at Calumet Fisheries
- Cheeseburger with Fries at That's-A-Burger
- Glazed Donut at Old Fashioned Doughnuts
- Carne Asada Taco at Zacatacos
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.