Happy National Taco Day! There's been much talk in the food world about tacos this week. A writer at the New York Times even declared the tacos of New York City to be as good as those in Los Angeles. No comment. Oh screw it. What about Chicago? Does NYC's taco scene have hops like Mike? Because, just like that, the writer took off like MJ at the '88 dunk contest and leaped right over us (not to mention all the other hot taco spots in Texas and various parts of the Southwest).
I feel like the neglect is partly our fault. While many publications like us, LTHForum, and the Chicago Reader seek out the lesser known South Side finds, not enough people do. There's no one online or in print who focuses solely on what's one of the cities biggest food strengths. Hopefully this will help.
Here's 25 from the South Side to help fill in all the lists that neglected an entire chunk of the city. Ready. Set. Taco!
Check them all out here, or take a look at the full list below.
- Taco de Suadero at Coyote Cafe
- Chile Relleno Taco La Casa del Pueblo
- Tacos de Sabinas at Nuevo Leon
- Carnitas Taco at Carnitas Uruapan
- Beef Barbacoa Taco at El Mezquite
- Puerco Adobado Taco at Del Toro
- Beef Cheek Barbacoa at La Favorita #2
- Cheesy Tacos at Raymond's
- Crispy Tripas Taco at La Chaparrita
- Tacos de Canasta at Don Pepe
- Tacos al Pastor at Taqueria los Barrilitos
- Super Steak Taco at Taqueria El Milagro
- Chicharron Tacos at Carniceria Aguascalientes
- Chicken Tacos at El Pollo Real
- Breakfast Tacos at Los Olivos
- Shrimp Taco at Tacos Don Cuco
- Taco de Cecina at La Cecina
- Birria Taco at Birrieria Zaragoza
- Stuffed Taquitos at Favela's
- Cochinita Pibil Taco at El Solazo
- Tacos al Pastor at Mario's Tacos
- Char-Broiled Steak Tacos at Zacataco's
- Deep Fried Taco Night at Loncar's Liquors
- Tacos Dorados at Taqueria Hacienda
- Shrimp Taco Dorado at Memo's Taco Mex in Highland, IN
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.