After checking out the cheap eats in Lincoln Square and Ravenswood, it's time to head a little bit south to Humboldt Park. This large neighborhood is probably best known for its Puerto Rican community, a fact that is made very clear by the two 60-foot tall metal Puerto Rican flags along Division St. So it makes sense that this is also the home of the jibarito. Sadly, the restaurant that first served the dish, Borinquen, recently closed its location on California Ave., which explains its absence here. But not only are there other great jibarito options around the neighborhood, there are plenty of other kinds of restaurants to try. You'll also find one of the best Mexican restaurants in the city, a classic Italian beef stand, and one of my favorite sushi spots.
Check out all of the picks by by clicking on the slideshow, or scroll down to see the list.
I first had to first figure out the borders, which was way more confusing than I expected. Like Logan Square, Humboldt Park is both a neighborhood and an official community area. To confuse matters, it's also the name of a large and beautiful park. That's all fine. Thing is, the border for the community area doesn't include anything east of that park, which most people consider to be part of the neighborhood. Sometimes this area is referred to as East Humboldt Park, even though it's actually in West Town. For this article I decided to include East Humboldt in with the rest.
Cheap Eats We Love in Humboldt Park
- Milanesa Cemita at Cemitas Puebla
- Italian Beef from Joe Boston's
- Hot Dog and Fries at Jimmy's Red Hot
- Gobi Manchurian from Rangoli
- Tofu Sweet Potato Hash at Flying Saucer
- Sweet Potato Tacos at Bullhead Cantina
- Taco de Pollo at La Encantada
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich at Feed
- Chicken Jibarito at Papa's Cache Sabroso
- Lechon Sandwich at La Bomba Place Food Truck in Humboldt Park
- Jibarito at Coco
- Escolar Pearls at Kai Zan
- Pozole Rojo at Pozoleria San Juan
- Al Pastor Taco at Birria Huentitan Restaurant
- Bistec Sandwich from Diana's Restaurant
- Morning Sandwich at Grandma J's Local Kitchen
More Cheap Eats Guides!
- 22 Cheap Eats We Love in Lincoln Square and Ravenswood
- 15 Cheap Eats We Love in Chicago's Chinatown
- 21 Cheap Eats We Love in Pilsen
- 19 Cheap Eats We Love in Bridgeport
- 14 Cheap Eats We Love in Chicago's Bucktown
- Cheap Eats We Love in Chicago's Wicker Park
- 32 Cheap Eats We Love in Lakeview
- 20 Cheap Eats We Love in Lincoln Park
- 21 Cheap Eats We Love in Chicago's River North
- 26 Cheap Eats We Love in The Loop
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.